Wednesday 5 June 2013

Log Books & Record Keeping

I had amazing record keeping in the beginning.

I set up an excel spreadsheet with all the glucose readings, the insulin doses and any notes about that day.
I filled it our religiously.
I printed them before endo and family physician appointments.
I felt prepared.  I was prepared.

I was warned that once we started pumping that would change.
You won't do that anymore.
All the info is there for you when you upload your pump.
I shook my head.

For the first 2 months, I logged everything.
I painstakingly transferred all the information from Carelink to my written log.
I logged snacks and meals with carb counts.
I added the days that there was gym.
I wrote until I got cramps in my hand.

Then I stopped.

I didn't mean to.  To be honest I ran out of the sheets that I was using and hadn't gotten around to priniting more.

I miss them.

I miss the control I felt when I was keeping them.

I think I may be missing something by not keeping a food diary with the BG readings.  Like I can look back on a particular day and say "oh look, she ate so and so and look what happened.  Maybe we should try ______ next time".

Does anyone who uses the pump or has a child with a pump still keep detailed records?  Do you find it beneficial?

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with record keeping, but I do think it's important. I started working with a new app recently, and they have a cool version coming out for parents & kids to work together. Check out my blog for some additional info (http://scottsdiabetes.com/2013/06/mysugr-companion/)

    ReplyDelete