Wednesday 9 January 2013

Bark! Bark! Bark!

What's that noise?  Is it Porter, our two year old family dog?  The neighbour's dog?  Tv? A seal? Nope!

It's the sound of a croupy cough!

We spent 2.5 hours in the emergency department this morning with Rylie.  I was pretty sure it was croup.  I was hesitant to even go after our 5.5 hour wait with Amy just last week, only to be told to take her home and go to bed. She had ripped her toenail completely off and I didn't know if she would need antibiotics to prevent an infection.  Diabetes.  Foot Care. Infection.  Just sounded to scary to me so I took her in looking for advice.  This led to a late NPH bedtime dose, which in turn led to a 3am low.  From now on I will be sure to call our peds Endo on call instead of the ER wait for something like that.  Lesson learned.

Anyway, back to Rylie, she's been sick on and off since before Christmas.  Her cough took a turn for the worse yesterday.  They agreed that it sounded croupy and gave her a dose of dexamethasone and sent us on our way.

Keep your fingers crossed that it does the trick.  She's quietly sleeping right now and I hope it stays that way for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment