Sunday 5 May 2013

Peanut Butter Cookies

When Amy was first diagnosed with diabetes, my best friend, who lives in Nova Scotia, sent me a cookbook that she thought would help us.  It was Canada's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes.



I've browsed through it a number of times.  Truth be told, I browse through cookbooks a lot, so it was a real gift from the heart from my friend.

Last night was the first time that I've made anything from this cookbook.  Before the pump, I found that the recipes sounded good, especially the treats, but still went above the number of carbs that I would typically give for a snack.

I've been thinking about peanut butter cookies for days, and decided to see if there was anything that sounded good in this book.  I read the recipe, liked what I saw and gathered the ingredients.

I thought of replacing either the white sugar or the brown sugar with a sugar substitute, but decided to follow the recipe......almost.  I didn't have quite enough stick margarine, so I used what I had and added a bit of extra peanut butter, and I substitute half the flour for whole wheat.

The cookies were amazing.



When I make them again, I think I will cook them for a little less time, then I did this time.  I was going to take them out at 8 mins, but left them in for another 2.  Still yummy.  Especially with a big glass of milk!

The recipe:

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup soft margarine
1 large egg
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

preheat oven to 350F
1. combine dry ingredients
2. beat margarine, sugars until fluffy, add rest of wet ingredients.
3. add together and mix until blended
4. roll dough into 36 small balls, flatten with fork.
5.bake 10-12 mins until lightly browned

1/2 carb, 1 fat

80 calories
2g protein
4g fat
1g sat fat
9g carbs
0g fiber
6mg cholesterol
72mg sodium

Give them a try and let me know what you think.  Also, if you have any great baking recipes that you would like to share, I'd love to hear about them.

HAPPY BAKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment