Tuesday 9 April 2013

CDA Clinical Practice Guidelines 2013

Yesterday the Canadian Diabetes Association released their new Clinical Practice Guidelines 2013.

I've quickly reviewed Chapter 34 on Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents.

The biggest change that I noticed was the change in glycemic targets for this populations in the <6 and 6-12 years old.

<6 years old: A1C < 8.0% and FPG of 6-10 mmol/L, down from < 8.5% and 6-12 mmol/L.

6-12 years old: A1C < 7.5% and FPG of 4-10 mmol/L, down from < 8.0% and still 4-10 mmol/L.

13-18 years old: A1C < 7.0% and FPG of 4-7 mmol/L, the same as before.

I'm happy to see these changes.  I know before Amy was 6, they were always at me that her readings were fine when she was around 12 mmol/L, but I hated her there.  Even know our CDE tells us that the range should be graduated to the child's age, which it does state in the guidelines, but I feel Amy behaves different the higher her sugar is.  She also feels different in the higher range.  She is at her best between 5.5-8 mmol/L.  I find above or below this, we start running into problems.

Last week we had our quarterly appointment in St. John's.  She was only on the pump for 4 weeks before having her A1C done.  Before this, she had a number of 2pm highs.....very high.....like in the 20s, almost every day.  I'm not expecting much of a reduction, but I'm hoping for some.

She is still having some highs, especially before recess, at 10am, but we're working on it.

What do you think of the new targets?

No comments:

Post a Comment