Tuesday 16 April 2013

You're more beautiful than you think

I knew having two girls wasn't going to be easy.  For some reason kids seem harder on each other now than when we were kids.  Self esteem, bullying, appearances, social status are all things that I don't remember worrying about as a child.

My girls are only 4 1/2 and 7, yet already they seem worried about how they look and what they are wearing.  I'm hoping it doesn't come from me.  I'm very careful about how critical I am of myself around them.  I've personally struggled with weight most of my adult life, and I don't want that to be my girl's struggles as well.  Over the past few months I've really been working on feeling better and looking better, trying to make 2013 about improving myself, as I'm getting closer to 40 than 30 now.  I'm very open about it with the girls, but talk about becoming more healthy, becoming more active, feeling better.  Ultimately I'm hoping to look better too, as that will make me feel better, but I don't stress the looks with the girls.

I'm concerned about how Amy will feel about her pump in a few years, how she will feel about "being different" and how she will deal with that.  For right now, she is very accepting of it, and is already drawing pictures of herself with her pump pouch.

A self-portrait of Amy
(although she hardly wears her glasses lately)
 

Women historically are harder on themselves than others, and see themselves in a negative manner.  Dove has, once again, conducted a little experiment.  See it for yourself.



Lets all make a deal right here, right now, to be kinder to ourselves.

"You're more beautiful than you think!"

No comments:

Post a Comment