Wednesday 13 November 2013

World Diabetes Day

November is National Diabetes Awareness Month (NDAM), an international celebration focused on raising awareness for all forms of diabetes, its signs and symptoms, and gain support for critical research toward preventing, better treating and curing all forms of the disease (JDRF)

Tomorrow, November 14, is World Diabetes Day, which is celebrated on November 14 each year, during National Diabetes Awareness Month, to mark the birthday of Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best, first conceived the idea which led to the discovery of insulin in 1922 (IDF)

There are many ways that people around the world celebrate this day. To be honest I didn't really know much about it until last year.  I then made it my mission to have the schools in our area mark the occasion somehow.  They ended up wearing blue, I had information sheets sent home and the announcements  included diabetes facts.  I felt that I had to do something as the rate of diabetes in children in newfoundland is one of the highest globally.

This afternoon, I received a call from a reporter from our local morning radio show.  They asked that Amy and I come into the studio tomorrow morning to do an interview.  Although I'm quite shy I agreed to.  If you want to tune in and listen live or to the recording you can do so at the following link.

I have the girls ready to wear blue tomorrow and am a little anxious, but excited too!

Happy World Diabetes Day!
Hopefully sometime in the near future we will be celebrating the day that the CURE was found.  Until then....I have HOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment