Saturday 1 December 2012

For the love of Zofran

Zofran, also known generically as Ondansetron, is a D-Mom's best friend!  Amy is just recovering from her third gastro since diagnosis.  The first time we were just two weeks in and I didn't have a clue what to do.  The only sick day management education that I was given involved extra insulin for high sugars.  Amy had ketones and low sugar and wouldn't keep anything down.  It was a weekend, my husband was away and I was lost.  We ended up in emerge with the doctor telling me she had a urine infection.  I argued it was a stomach bug.  They gave her some fluids and sent us home.  It took her a full week to recover.

The next time, I was a little better prepared.  I knew to give small amounts of carbs every hour, how often to check her BG and for ketones, and had a nice sick day kit made up.  However she was still barfing profusely and couldn't keep gravol down.  This time, I had a CDE and Endo on-call.  Their suggestion.....Zofran.  I got a prescription from our local family physician, gave her a dose, and she honestly never barfed again after that.

This time.....Amy woke at 12:30am and luckily made it to the bathroom.  I'm a very light sleeper and heard her get out of bed, but I thought she just needed to pee.  She called out to me.  We tested, and got her settled again.  Did I mention my husband was away again!  And I couldn't fall back to sleep.  She woke again at 2:30, threw up in the bucket I left next to her bed.  I searched for the Zofran and couldn't find any.  We tested, got her settled away again, and I stayed awake, waiting until morning to get some meds for her. She has not vomited again, since I started giving her this med.

I'm happy to say, 36 hours later, she hasn't vomited once, her appetite is back, and she's up running around and playing again.  I love Zofran!


On another note, today is December 1, and we have just received our new Elf on a Shelf.  This is our families first time with the elf and the girls are so excited!  His name is Buddy!  If you have any great ideas on what we can do with Buddy the next few weeks let me know!

Enjoy your weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment