Thursday 25 February 2016

What a Day (YEAR)!


I originally started this post with a title as “What A Day”! and then I didn’t even write anything else in the post.  I can only imagine that I was interrupted mid thought….likely due to something diabetes related.

I’ve since changed the title to “what a year” since the year is somehow over already!

Amy started a new school this year with her first male teacher.  I wasn’t sure what she would think of that, but she was very excited that she was in his class, telling me that was who she was hoping to get.  We met with him the day before school started for about an hour a reviewed everything and completed the new NL school guidelines.  We left little kit boxes to be placed in the class, in her locker and in the office.  I also explained that Amy now has a cell phone to contact us for any diabetes related questions.  That it was not to be used for games, not to ask “what’s for supper!”  At the beginning of the year, she left her glucometer at school in her desk a few times, and once on a Friday evening.  Luckily there was a dance that night, and we were able to get in the school to get it.  I’m sure I could have phoned the principal for access if needed, but this was much easier (we do have a backup, but it’s in the office kit; and we have an older one at home but it uses different strips).  The guidance counselor at this school is a D-Mom as well, so she’s been an excellent go-to person for any of our concerns.

The new afterschool program has been wonderful.  We have had to figure out what works best in terms of her sugars and dancing.  Should she remove the pump for Acro, leave it on; should she set a temp basal or eat a snack uncovered or do a combination of both; what happens in the evening after dance…..and it goes on and on.  I’m happy to day that the number of lows have started to become less.

My next thought is….WHEN DID MY LITTLE GIRL GROW UP!

Amy was diagnosed with diabetes in the second half of kindergarten.  In grade one she started the pump then a few months later a CGM (that we rarely use now).  I was at the school All. The. Time. and I work full time.  The secretary joked that I should have my own hall pass.  In grade 2 there was some ups and downs, but the teacher had me on speed dial and we texted back and forth a lot.  Grade 3 I was starting to miss the secretary.  I pretty sure the only time I was at the school was for the late afternoon lows at dismissal/bus time and for the first treat party of the year.  Grade 4. I have not had to go to the school for diabetes. Yet. She is handling it herself.  She doesn’t always do things the way that I would, but I’m so proud of her for taking care of things herself.

December we did a two week trial of Dexcom.  Can you say LOVE!  Amy didn’t mind the first insertion but the second time we did it, it stung a little.  I can say that she loved having the color receiver and watching watch her sugar was doing; and I loved having it by my bedside at night.  I also want to comment on its accuracy.  I was amazed by how often her blood sugar and her sensor sugar correlated.  I really wanted to get one but we are not due for new pump or CGM for another TWO years!  I was going to pay for it outright, but Amy says that she doesn’t think she would want to use it all the time.  Because of that I’m holding back, but I would love to add it.  During her two weeks we had a dance recital.  This allowed her to go the entire 3 hours with no pump on and allowed us to see what her sugar was doing.  I got to sit in the audience and see the show, and my sister kept watch on the CGM.  LOVED IT!

February saw her fourth diaversary.  We celebrated with cake and presents of course!  It’s hard to believe that diabetes has been a part of our lives for such a long time. 

Some days I worry that I’m becoming complacent with it.  I think that may be because we’ve been lucky enough to not have any major issues.  I also think that’s why I’m not blogging as much anymore.  Some days I worry that she might become angry at me for blogging about her and I know that some day this won’t really be my story to tell.   Some days I think I should have her eat better and then I remember she’s a kid.  Some days I think I should fiddle with her settings and tighten BG control and then her body messes things up all over again.  Some day I hope there will be a cure!

Until someday, we are dealing with what life has handed us, and I think Amy is doing wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment