Tuesday 21 January 2014

Feeding my child

Girl Guides of Canada is a wonderful organization, ran by dedicated volunteers.

For ages 7-8 the program is called Brownies, they meet once a week for an hour and a a half.  The focus is to encourage the girls to develop their own identity and positive relationships with others.  The program covers safety, healthy choices, science & technology, the arts, Eco-awareness and camping.

They can earn badges for activities performed as the group or as self learning as well.

As I said earlier, it's a wonderful organization.

When Amy was a spark, ages 5-6, I was one of the leaders.  I was there if anything came up regarding her diabetes care. This year, I'm not a leader.  

I gave my usual diabetes talk at the beginning of the year, and have had no issues until yesterday.

The girls were going outside to play.  No big deal.  Check sugar before hand, carry some rockets (canadian equivalent of Smarties) in coat pocket if needed.

When Amy got home, she told me that they had hot chocolate.  What?  Wait!  You had what?
They had not chocolate, and she looked at the nutritional information and entered 23g CHO.
I asked what was the serving size, how did they measure, how much did she have, was it made with milk or water?

And you know what......she burst into tears!

I had a mix of emotions then.  Proud of her for knowing where to look, disappointed with the guiders/leaders for not contacting me, angry at myself for bombarding her with questions, and just plain sad that something as simple as having hot chocolate after sliding has to be so difficult!

The result of it all........too much insulin for the amount of hot chocolate paired with all the evening activity........being up all night trying to keep the lows away, and a miscalibration of the CGM (which is still wrong at school now)

I've written to the leaders, and have asked that Amy not be given anything to eat or drink, other than water and low treatments, without first consulting with me or her father.  That we are teaching Amy what to do, but she's still 7, she still needs guidance and supervision for these activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment